Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where we you when the world stopped turning...

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children Or working on some stage in LA? Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, or fear for your neighbor, or did you just sit down and cry?
I remember. I remember my dad crying and my sisters buzzing about the news. I didn't understand. I was just a little girl. Eight years old. Too young to realize what all the smoke meant.

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones and pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble and sob for the ones left below? Did you burst out in pride for the red, white, and blue, and the heroes who died just doing what they do? Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer and look at yourself and what really matters?

I remember. I remember my mom trying to explain that there had been some horrible horrible accident in New York. Then we saw the second plane. "This is no accident." I still didn't know.

I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus and I talk to God and I remember this from when I was young, faith, hope and love are some good things He have us. But the greatest is love.

I remember. I remember going to school that day, although I had the option to stay home. I was upset at all the stupid kids that were running around screaming that we were all going to die. "No way," I said in my little eight year old heart. "America is the greatest country ever and we'll get back up again."
Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day? Were you teaching a class full of innocent children or driving down some cold interstate? Did you feel guilty cuz you're a survivor? In a crowded room did you feel alone? Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her? And dust off that old Bible at home?

I remember. I remember every September 11 since that day. Each and every year I understood more fully what exactly had happened that day. My dad still cries. And now so do I.Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened? Close your eyes and not go to sleep? Did you notice the sunset in first time in ages or speak to some stranger on the street? Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow, or go out and buy you a gun? Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching and turn on I Love Lucy reruns?

I know a lot of people like to talk about how corrupt our country is. They talk about all the things that are going wrong. But despite all that, I love this country. I know this is the promised land that the Lord provided for His righteous children to inherit and populate for the eventual restoration of His true church upon this earth. I know it is a sacred gift, and I love Him for giving that to me.Did you go to church and hold hands with some strangers? Did you stand in line and give your own blood? Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family, and thank God that you had someone to love?

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

I remember, and I will always remember. The tradgedy that took place in a city 3,000 miles away that managed to pull the whole country much closer. Now every year on September 11, I thank God for my family and thank God for this land. And then, just like all the other patriotic holidays, I raise my hands in the air and shout "Go, America!" Because our towers got knocked down, but our country got up again.

Love, Princess Sullivan. (And Alan Jackson).

3 comments:

barbafamily said...

Beautiful post! I love what you said and I love you!

Phipps Family said...

Well said. I just love your posts.

Scott, Jessica, Alix, and the Puppies said...

i remember laughing at dad cuz he was crying while watching it on TV when i got up for school. then he made me go to school even tho half the school stayed home.
ps you're awesome