Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jib Jab Jib.

[I don't even know what jib jab jib means].

Sorry, I just didn't know how to start this post or what to title it, so...

I'm just going to dive right in, no more ado.

Saturday, August 21, 2010. 11:00 PM:
The dance had just ended, and we were excited/scared/nervous about going home. It was a long way, it was pouring, and the streets were dark.

I agreed to give a ride to a friend/close relative, Heidi, because she is nice, and I felt like saving someone else the trip out there.

11:30 PM [approx]. : Driving down Pecos Rd. It just turned into Mountain and Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" comes on. And we sing.

11:32 [approx]. : I see a large puddle and think "Oh no, maybe we should roll up the windows so the water doesn't get in." And without a single other thought, I enter the "puddle" and begin to drive through it.

I notice the water getting deeper, the car slows to a stop, the engine sputters, then dies.
"Uh.....guys..." I said, slightly panicky. "My car stopped."

"Let's say a prayer!" Was the next thing I remember hearing, echoing through my mind. Of course! A Prayer! Go Toria! So then a prayer was offered by Victoria, and we all bowed our heads earnestly. The prayer was heartfelt and sincere. It was not only offered to ask for help out of this situation, but also thankfulness that we were safe thus far. We knew that if we asked with a sincere heart, that our prayer would be answered and our Lord would help us out of this mess.

After the prayer, I took off my shoes and climbed through the window, because opening the door would have increased the flooding. So, I hopped out NASCAR style, and I was followed by Heidi, then Victoria. We popped the car into neutral so that we could begin to push it from the water.

Another person from a car that had also been stranded began to run towards us. We called out for help and he responded to our calls. To my surprise, what I thought may be an angel, was really a local boy that we all knew as Aaron. He ran to our rescue and we immediately began to push the car backwards as AlexaDyan sat in the driver seat and steered. Once the car was out of the water, I felt as though a million bricks had fallen on me. I was scared, and embarrassed, and utterly...annoyed. My car probably wasn't going to start, my shoes had gotten wet, and I had put the lives of my friends at stake.

Victoria and Heidi and Alexa called their parents and Victoria's dad came on his way to rescue us and take us home to our nice warm beds. We were cold, it was raining, parents were concerned, and we did not know what to do. Had it not been for the spirit I had around me and our faith, I would not have made it through as strongly as I did. And also, AlexaDyan, the girl in this world that hugs less that any other I have ever met, embraced me. She does not hug me much but when she does she means it. It made me feel much better, as I am certain she knew it would.

We spent the next....what felt like eternity...waving cars away, as to make sure they also did not get into the same situation as us. Then another car came and we ran towards it, screaming "No! No! Turn back, turn away." Then we received a blinding signification that we were in for it as the Police lights began flashing red and blue.

The two very irritated men got out of their car and cut right to the chase. He made sure to get the sitch on every last detail. The drivers all began with our stories and we handed over our licenses to the cop man.

One of them told me to call my dad so that he was aware of the situation. My dad said that he would come and tow the car with our giant van. Then the cop asked to talk with him. I do not know what was said on either sides of that conversation, but it made me feel better. He handed me the phone back and I closed up with my dad.

The Police explained to us what was going on and what they were going to do.

An Ambulance arrived, as did a sheriff's car, and two fire trucks. It showed me how much these guys really care about our safety and stuff. Then Victoria's dad came and stole from me the three friends that were giving me the most strength, and as they drove away, I broke down and cried. [But only a little bit, because there were boys watching].

12:42 [approx] :
The Emergency vehicles left one by one, and soon, only the cops were left. The cops then lightened up and we started talking about church, and dances, and Saturday nights. We even has a few laughs with those men. Then Sister Butters came to pick up her sons and Aaron, and Skyler. They left me, all alone. With the cops.

Good thing my dad showed up about five minutes later. The first thing my dad said when he climbed out of the van was "Did you give her a ticket!?" When the officer replied in the negative, my father said, jokingly [I hope], "How is she ever going to learn." We thanked the officers for their service, we hooked up the car and the next thing I knew, we were on our way.

The drive lasted 23 minutes and 44 second. I timed it. It was the longest ride of my life, sitting in the silence, beating myself up inside. But I realized, I should kneel down every day and thank my Heaven Father for my parents. They were not upset or angry when they got the call. They just responded positively, as to make me feel better, drove right over, and towed me home.

We got to the point where we were almost to the house, and every light in the area was off. It was almost...eerie. It made everything seem so spooky. The electricity was out, obviously. I was cold, and wet, and all I wanted to do was curl up with The Good Book in some dry clothes and read, and sleep. But that isn't how it went down.

We got into the house and there was an ominous glow from the kitchen. I went in and check what it was. My little brother was reading his scriptures by candle light at the kitchen table. The sight brought me comfort and joy. Then he looked at me and said "Join me?" And I did. We sat there at that kitchen table and read the D&C by candle light.

And you know what? It was the perfect end to the perfect disaster.

After I finished reading, I went upstairs to my room, and offered a prayer of thanks to My Father in Heaven. And here I am, alive. Thanks to him, and to my friends, parents, friends' parents, and the Officials that showed up to assist us.
And that is my story.  THE END.

Tune in next time to see what other trouble I can possibly get myself into.

Love, Princess Sullivan.

3 comments:

KZizzle said...

aww hon!! i'm so glad you guys are safe!!! Prayers are amazing things :) luv you oodles!!!

Scott, Jessica, Alix, and the Puppies said...

ha ha nascar style! i love you!

Phipps Family said...

You write really well :) I enjoyed reading your story and others that you have posted. Good job!