For two little duckies.
I had the ducks outside in the backyard for a swim, which we do every few days or so according to the weather and how bad they need a bath.
When I took them out of the pool to get dry I put them into a wooden frame about seven or eight inches high. And the ducks aren't much taller than that.
The first time I put them in they spent all the time in there trying to hop out. They jumped right over that barrier. Eight inches. That is impressive for duck's their size.
And do you know what they did when they got out? Run away? Go hide? NO! They stood right outside the barrier and started drying themselves off.
"Why couldn't you do that IN the cage?" I asked them sarcastically.
Anyway, to test things out, I would catch one and put it in the cage, and watch it jump out to get to the other. Then I took the other and it jumped out to find his friend. The third time I grabbed the yellow duck, [he is more dependent than the black one], and I put him inside the frame. And the black one came right over and hopped into the cage with him.
This time they sat there, very contently, and plucked at the water on their feathers. I sat down and watched them. They were chirping and having a good time. Cleaning themselves, probably saying something like "Remember that time we got the crazy wench with the pool net [me] to chase us around the yard like a fool?" Then they'd laugh their quacky little laughs.
But then, they got really quiet. They were ducking [yes, ducks duck] low to the ground and not moving. The yellow one would turn his head and look into the sky then quickly turn his head back and bow it down to the ground. He did this several times before I got curious as to what exactly he may be looking at.
So I do the same. I turned my head and looked up and my heart stopped. There in the sky was a HAWK [or falcon, vulture, or another crazed predatory bird. I am guessing it was a hawk], circling above them in the air. Probably debating when would be the best time to swoop down and grab those babies. I could tell his choice was going to be made soon, and I couldn't wait around and let it happen.
The ducklings were letting out terrified little chirps. Probably saying things like "It was nice to know ya, Pal." So, without a moment to lose, I threw my QT cup into the grass and grabbed the little, wet ducklings and ran them to safety.
And the Hawk, high up in the sky, scoffed and scowled at me for stealing his meal, and flew away in a huff.
As I put them into their cage inside I could tell their little chirps were saying "Thank you for saving our sorry little behinds." And I replied, "All the better for me. You'll be my dinner soon enough."
True story, friends. Minus the dialogue on the bird's side, that was thought up by me.
That is all I have to say. I just thought I would let you guys all know about my awesome, heroic adventures today.
Love, Princess Sullivan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
This is pretty darn cute, not gonna lie. :)
you can't eat them. that would be sad
Post a Comment